Over 130 Years of Praise and Service

Motivated by the Holy Spirit and filled with a longing for a place of worship eight German immigrants under the leadership of Pastor F.B. Bess of Peoria, organized St. Peter Lutheran Church of Emden, Illinois, on November 14, 1879. For the next six years, worship was held in homes, stores, and a school house. L. Seehase and E. Warnke served as pastors until the seven families who made up the congregation called Reihold Lange of Peoria as their pastor in 1885.

A parsonage was built first, and then in 1886, the first place of worship was erected. The congregation grew rapidly, and in 1901, a larger house of worship was built only to be destroyed by a storm the following year. With a vision of mission fot the present and future, the congregation rebuilt and dedicated a beautiful new edifice in 1903. Pastor Lange served as spiritual leader of St. Peter's for the next 30 years. Pastors serving since Lange include: B. Spalding, Theo Albert, August Suechting, John Detjen, Kenneth Gorrell, Arthur Dryver, Robert Spenn, Frank Pieper, Lawrence Darby, David Hofer and John Schurter.

Our Present church building and parish hall, dedicated in 1953, were erected with mostly donated labor from members. Memorial Hall, our educational building was added in 1963.